Monday Feb. 15
- Artifact/Artifiction: A Family Day Special Event. 10am – 4pm at Kelowna Museums. Unplug and play on Family Day! Be the first to challenge our newest feature exhibition. Museum collections hold objects of wonder…but is it fact or fiction? Register your bubble at kelownamuseums.ca/events and step right in.
- West Kelowna Museum. Special shadow box exhibits of pioneer families which will be revealed once a day for a week. They will then be mounted on the walls of the museum. There will also be a skit that will be filmed and presented online about a day in the life of a pioneer. Everyday during the week there will be an “identify the artifact” contest. You can go to the museum as well and check out the mock pioneer house with costumes to try on. WestKelownaCity.ca
- 1:00 pm Lake Country Museum and Archives; a live tour of the museum. Come behind the scenes and see how the museum operates. Learn all about the history of Lake Country. The half-hour live presentation will be on the Lake Country Museum Facebook page, or participate in person. Limited space is available due to COVID-19 restrictions. Call to register at 250-766-0111. For more information visit LakeCountryMuseum.com.
Tuesday Feb. 16
- 7:00pm Heritage Awards Presentations via Zoom. Registration required here.
Wednesday Feb. 17
- Kelowna Museums. Storytelling: How Turtle Set the Animals Free. xkiʔsts ʔar’si̓kʷ iʔ ͜ tmixʷ kiʔ ɬuni̓kəkst. 7-8pm on zoom. Winter is a time for storytelling. Join us for this captikwt (traditional teachings) with Wildrose Native Traditions and learn more about syilx storytelling culture. Register here.
Thursday Feb. 18
- 1:30 – 3:00 pm Okanagan Regional Library. Genealogist, Claire Smith-Burns will give a talk on Finding Your Family in the Canadian Census Records: Census records are like time-travelling to have a peek at a day in the life of your ancestral families. Learn where to find these fabulous records, tricks for locating elusive family and how to wring out all the information these records hold on your ancestors. You must register by finding the event in the ORL's events Calendar, then click on the event to bring up the registration form; a Zoom invite will then be sent to you.
- 5pm – 8pm Date Night at the Museum. A little bit sweet, a lit bit saucy. Woo that special someone with a date at the museum. Fun challenges and activities will be sure to spark some romance.
Friday Feb 19
- Kelowna Museums. Artifact/Artifiction: Opening Ceremony and Trivia Night. Celebrate the latest feature exhibition and join us – virtually, at 4pm. Enjoy a VIP mini tour with Curatorial Manager Amanda Snyder. Then roll up you sleeves for a little Kelowna Trivia. Can you tell Artifacts from Artifictions?
Saturday Feb. 20
- 1:00 pm Walking tour of the Abbott St. area by FRACHAS. More information on Facebook
Sunday Feb. 21
- A different walking tour of the Abbott St. area by KSAN. More information on Facebook
Some events are ongoing:
All week: Be sure to take in the displays of Central Okanagan ‘Heritage Personalities’ at the downtown Kelowna Library during Heritage Week!
The Canadian Italian Club invites you to take a look at their first two volumes of ‘Le prime families Italian di Kelowna’ (The first Italian Families of Kelowna). Each volume features stories and photographs of 30 early families that are part of Kelowna’s history. Also watch for the launch of their recorded Oral History Project of Central Okanagan pioneer Italian families. Check their website for the launch of this project: kelownaitalianclub.com
A Virtual Tour of the Mission of the Immaculate Conception (aka ‘Father Pandosy Mission’). YouTube.com ‘Father Pandosy Mission’ and a new virtual tour of the beautiful Benvoulin Heritage Church, built in 1892. YouTube.com ‘Benvoulin Heritage Church Heritage Week 2021’. Friends of Fintry has four very interesting videos on their website Fintry.ca
See all the Heritage Week events on Facebook